Monday, July 27, 2009

Book 4: By Grand Central Station I Sat Down and Wept, Elizabeth Smart

Dear Mr. Martel,

Congratulations! In your last letter to Prime Minister Harper, you told him about the arrival of your new son Theo. When I read the exciting news I thought I would like to send Theo a little present, to welcome him to the world, and what could be more appropriate than a book? So earlier this week I went down to Munro's where I agonized for quite some time. I do find it hard to choose just one book. I even briefly entertained the idea of starting a new project along the lines of "What is Theo Martel reading?", but that seemed a bit ridiculous. I worked in the children's department of the wonderful Westmount Public Library for ten years, and have accumulated a lengthy list of favourite children's books, but I wanted to send something that Theo could enjoy sooner rather than later, and I wanted to send a board book, because they are so sturdy and withstand a fair bit of chewing, which, in my experience, is what babies mostly want books for. I finally settled on Mr. Gumpy's Outing, by John Burningham. Are you familiar with this classic? If not, then you are in for a treat. It is a book that I loved as a child (my mother did funny voices for all the different animals), and one that my children love as well, even when I am too tired to do the funny voices. I've read it at story time, and shown it to numerous classes on an antique film strip, and I don't think I have ever met a child who does not like it. So I hope Theo will enjoy it as well. I love the tea scene at the end of the book, but I especially appreciate (and am inspired by) Mr. Gumpy's patience. I had the great pleasure of seeing John Burningham a few years ago. I took my eldest, Grace, who was 6 at the time, to hear him read at the Blue Metropolis festival. Sadly, the event was botched by the Blue Met - he was paired with someone he never should have been put with (it was painful), and there was only a handful of people in attendance. It was a shame, but it was still lovely to see and hear him. He actually resembles Mr. Gumpy quite a bit now.

I'm afraid that I am already running behind schedule with the book club. I finished By Grand Central Station quite some time ago, and had vaguely thought I would speed through the next book and do a 2 for 1 post, but that didn't work out. I needed time to digest By Grand Central Station, and didn't think it would be fair to the Bhagavad Gita to rush into it. It's quite a tight schedule you've got the PM on, if you don't mind me saying. I'm sure I'm not nearly as busy as the PM, but even so this project does seem to take up all my (limited) free reading time. (I did sneak in another book while I was back east, and that is partly why I'm running late.) I will admit that I am not a very fast reader. But on to the book at hand. What a book. She evokes so perfectly that all-encompassing love, the kind that blocks out everything else in the world - when everything else is just a distant satellite orbiting around you. And then when it crashes - oh, the desolation. Smart certainly illustrates that "what goes up must come down" is not just for gravity's purposes. I enjoyed the book, the poetry of it, the glimpse into that relationship (I had to go to the library and get out her Autobiographiesfor a more complete picture. Quite incredible.)

(continued August 10th)

Now I've let this go too long. I even took the book back to the library, and I'm not sure why, because there were a few passages I thought I'd like to copy out. To remember. I think I stalled because somehow writing about this novel felt too personal. I had some extreme responses to this book, including an incredibly vivid dream which made me cry when I woke up (that was a first). I thought I might abandon the project altogether, and picked up Loving Frank, which my sister gave me, instead of the next book on the list. Have you read it? Similar themes but quite a different outcome. Now I'm feeling a little spent from all the passion and drama, and I think the Bhagavad Gita would be a good place to go. So onwards.

With best wishes to you and your family,

Rebecca Baugniet

P.S. I don't know if Elizabeth Smart ever visited Laurier House, but you have got corresponding with the Prime Minister in common with her. One biography I had out of the library gave an account of her writing to Mackenzie King, requesting he play Bacchus at a party she was holding at his country place. (They were neighbours.) I wonder if he ever read her book.

encl: one copy of Mr. Gumpy's Outing, by John Burningham
inscribed: To Theo, wishing you a happy childhood filled with good books, from an aspiring writer, Rebecca Baugniet

2 comments: